The common conventional medical approach to arthritis, back pain, stiffness and inflammation relies on anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) and painkilling drugs. These drugs can provide temporary relief, but also have serious side effects! On the other hand, alternative medicine offers a wide range of treatment options for getting to the root of and eliminating the problem.
Chronic inflammation is linked to a wide variety of conditions, including chronic aches and pains. This is a subject near and dear to my heart, a subject that brings back “painful” memories! For five years, I could not function without anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) and I still hurt, had limited mobility and didn’t sleep well. I prepared myself for hip replacement surgery after failing to make further progress through conventional medicine (along with a variety of therapies, including chiropractic, massage and physical therapies). After endless research and an open mind, I discovered other options that have changed my life and the lives of those around me. Fourteen years later, I have avoided surgery, have increased mobility and continue to be pain-free, without medications.
The Six Essential Components for Healthy Bones and Joints
Simply put, IF we provide the right environment, our body will do what it is meant to do, heal itself! I believe these to be the 6 essential components for healthy bones and joints.
2. Removing Heavy Metals and Toxins
3. Energy: Magnetic, Far-Infrared and Laser
4. Diet and Nutritional Supplements
5. Exercise and Physical Therapy
6. Correct Posture
There is no substitute for water! Our health is dependent on the quality and quantity of water that we drink. It is necessary for every system in the body to function properly.
Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, an internationally renowned researcher, author and advocate of the natural healing power of water (http://watercure.com/) states, “Unintentional Chronic Dehydration (UCD) contributes to and even produces pain and many degenerative diseases that can be prevented and treated by increasing water intake on a regular basis.” His list includes fibromyalgia, arthritis and back pain.
Benefits of Water intake:
- Promotes circulation
- Helps reduce the toxicity that leads to joint inflammation by flushing out toxins and wastes
- Lubricates the body’s joints (cartilage needs water to lubricate the joints during movement and dehydrated cartilage leads to joint deterioration and pain)
- Alleviates muscle spasms (muscles are 70% water and dehydration can lead to muscle spasms)
Don’t wait until you’re thirsty! Constantly drink throughout the day. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Water and Pain Medications
Analgesics (pain killers, pain medications, pain relievers) are drugs designed to suppress the pain mechanism. Ironically, over the counter and prescription drugs we take for these symptoms have toxic side effects. It is important to understand that regular use of these types of medications are associated with significant, and very serious side effects, such as kidney and/or liver damage.
According to Dr. Batmanghelidj, “Not recognizing arthritis and low back pain as signs of dehydration in the joint cavities and treating them with pain-killers, manipulation, acupuncture, and eventually surgery will, in time, produce osteoarthritis when the cartilage cells in the joints have eventually all died. It will produce deformity of the spine. It will produce crippling deformities of the limbs. Pain medications have their own life-threatening complications.”
“Pain medications shut down the crisis calls of the body for water, but do not correct the “fresh water” shortage in the interior of the body. Whereas, water intake corrects the basic pain-producing drought and saves the body from further danger.”
* For more information, please refer to Section 2: “The Importance of Clean Water” in my FREE guide, “6 Solutions for a Healthy Body.”
2. Removing Heavy Metals and Toxins
There is no denying we live in a toxic environment. A direct result of exposures to heavy metals and toxins is an increased incidence of chronic diseases. Although there are many health issues related to toxic overload, I am concentrating on arthritis, fibromyalgia and osteoporosis. The symptoms include inflammation, joint and muscle pain.
Many times these agents are blocking our systems from working properly and keeping our bodies from utilizing the vitamins and minerals that we ingest both from food and nutritional supplements. Therefore, we could be ingesting high quality nutritionals and eating organic, nutritious meals, but our body isn’t absorbing and utilizing them to the fullest potential. In my opinion, eliminating toxins is foundational to optimizing our health.
* For more information, I have discussed this in more detail in my FREE guide, “6 Solutions for a Healthy Body,” and my website article “Solutions to your Body’s Pollution” .
3. Energy: Magnetic, Far-Infrared and Laser
Magnetic and far-infrared products were the catalysts to my turn-around. Within one month of sleeping, wearing and walking on these technologies, I was able to stop my anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) that I could not function without for the previous 5 years. As I added pure water, a natural anti-inflammatory, along with other nutritional and dietary changes, I just kept getting better and better. I could exercise without excruciating pain and my sleep was significantly improved.
* For more information, please refer to Section 5 “Energy: Magnetic and Far-infrared” in my FREE guide, “6 Solutions for a Healthy Body.”
Cold laser treatment is a non-invasive, pain-free alternative to help eliminate acute or chronic pain and swelling in the joints, muscles, tendons, cartilage or other soft tissue.
Laser therapy helps:
- Reduce inflammation
- Decrease swelling
- Heal soft tissue injuries
- Diminish or eliminate acute pain
- Reduce chronic pain and discomfort
Discuss with your health professional if you may benefit from laser therapy. I have received cold laser treatments with pleasing results from my chiropractor and physical therapist.
4. Diet and Nutritional Supplements
What to Avoid?
- Processed foods, processed grains, simple sugars, saturated fats
- Non-organic meats, shellfish and dairy
- Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and potatoes) and dried fruit
- Alcohol, coffee, cocoa, soft drinks
- Spices such as pepper, refined table salt, soy sauce and tamari, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, and MSG
Check out this article for information regarding Fasting Away Arthritis Pain. I personally notice a significant decrease in joint/muscle discomfort when simple sugars are eliminated.
Eating a gluten-free diet isn’t for everyone, however results from a study conducted by Swedish researchers at the Karolinska Institute showed significant improvements in the symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- NCD is a chelating natural mineral, which has the capability to bind and eliminate toxins, viral sub-particles, allergens and heavy metals from the body. It is a safe, non-toxic method of removing heavy metals and toxins. NCD also balances the pH, improves the immune system, and promotes quicker recovery of sore muscles after exercise. After safely detoxifying, I have seen amazing results, sometimes as quickly as 24 hours.
- Vitamin D3 deficiencies are linked to many healthy issues including inflammation, chronic pain, fibromyalgia and nonspecific musculoskeletal pain, and overall higher rate of abnormal bone density.
- Barley grass is a highly alkaline super food product that contains high concentrations of valuable nutrients, including chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals and natural enzymes. It contains an abundance of amino acids, including all 8 of the essential (isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine). The essential amino acids are those that are necessary for good health but cannot be manufactured in the body and must be obtained through dietary sources. Balancing pH and anti-inflammatory properties are among the many benefits of consuming barley grass.
- MSM is a bio-available source of sulfur present in every cell which has many benefits including removing inflammation. It permits muscles and joints to heal more rapidly and reduces muscle cramps and spasms. It is absorbed better when taken with Vitamin C.
- pH PlusTM is an alkaline drop, supplement, that you add to your beverages – including your drinking water. It adds electrolytes and also eases the lactic acid reaction that may cause muscle cramping due to physical exertion. Only 2 – 4 drops in each 6 – 8 oz. glass of water are needed to benefit from the acid-neutralizing effects. The high pH (10.5 – 11.0) assists with flushing acidic toxins and waste from our system and utilizing the essential minerals potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium.
- OsteoDenx is a safe and effective solution for healthy bones and joints. OsteoDenx is not a nutritional supplement or a prescription osteo drug. It is obtained from food, and is the same protein that a young body uses to remake the whole skeleton every 4 years. This mineral managing molecule also stimulates the cells that produce and maintain cartilage. A patented Synoportin delivery system directs nutrients to the joints.
According to John Jackson, M.D. in Bio-Replenishment in his publication of: “Taking Anti-aging to the Bone” “OsteoDenx, as published in Osteoporosis International (2009), starts turning osteoporosis and osteopenia around in just 2 weeks! Side-benefits of the completely natural OsteoDenx, as published in Inflammation Research (2010), include supplying bone calcium to body organs and the lowering of elevated inflammatory markers linked to heart attack, diabetes and colon cancer.”
“Bone density increases can be seen in 3-6 months, 24% in less than a year for one of my female cousins at age 83! Young people may be candidates, just like a 16-year old boy who had 8 fractures by age 14, but none since starting OsteoDenx. Joints improve, as in the case of a 70-year old man whose amputated thumb couldn’t bend for nearly 7 years post surgical reattachment that started bending again 8 months after starting the natural product. Soft tissues benefit, based on my own experience with a bad ankle sprain that healed completely in 37 days, allowing me to run a half marathon with our daughters. As an internal medicine specialist for 25+ years, I have found nothing safer, simpler or more successful in securing the wellness of bone and joints than OsteoDenx.”
- Fish Oil: Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce inflammation by interfering with the production of inflammation-producing chemicals that stimulate pain nerves in the tissues.
The quality of the fish oil supplement is important, since inferior grades may have contaminants and lower levels of dha, epa, and omega -3 fatty acids. Make sure the fish oil supplements are fresh and free of mercury, as tested in labs meeting the international pharmaceutical standards.
- Calcium is the most prevalent mineral in the body of the four basic electrolyte minerals, and is required for the formation of bone, teeth and cellular structure. Calcium also helps our body maintain pH balance and fluid balance. In addition, it improves joint and muscle mobility, promotes oxygenation of the body, etc. Trace minerals and specific amino acids are synergistic elements, or keys, to making the major minerals and vitamins react appropriately in the body for sound nutrition building.
* These nutritional supplements plus additional products are listed on my product page . For further product and wholesale pricing information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Exercise and Physical Therapy
If you think exercise will aggravate your joint pain and stiffness, think again! According to the Mayo Clinic, in “Exercise helps ease arthritis pain and stiffness,” the opposite is true: lack of exercise can actually make your joints more painful and stiff. Exercise strengthens the muscles around your joints, helps maintain bone strength, provides increased stamina and energy, enhances sleep, improves your sense of well-being and helps control your weight. Controlling your weight takes stress off of your joints.
Before you start any exercise program, please consult with a medical professional. A Physical Therapist is a great start if you have any physical limitations. They can put together a safe exercise plan that meets your needs!
Always begin and end a workout with stretching and warm-up/cool down exercises. Ideally, your exercise routine should include:
- Flexibility (stretching, range-of-motion)
- Strengthening (resistance)
- Cardiovascular (aerobic) exercises.
Due to my hip deformity, Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease, I must avoid high impact activities. After consulting my orthopedic surgeon, physical therapist, chiropractor and a naturopathic doctor, my low impact exercise plan includes: stretching and warm-up/cool down exercises, power walking with weighted shoes, rebounding, and resistance exercises for strengthening (30+ minutes a day, 5 to 6 days a week).
* For more information, please refer to Section 6: “Exercise” in my FREE guide, “6 Solutions for a Healthy Body.”
6. Correct Posture and Spinal Alignment
Practicing healthy posture helps keep your spine strong and stable. However, when you slouch or stoop, your muscles and ligaments struggle to keep you balanced. This can lead to a myriad of problems including back pain, headaches, and fatigue. Mayo Clinic has a great slide show to demonstrate:
Chiropractic adjustments help to improve posture, among many other benefits. For a complete list of benefits, see http://www.wellnesschiro.com/benefits_of_chiropractic.htm.
However, I would choose a chiropractor as carefully as I would choose a surgeon. Dr. Dennis O’Hara in “Chiropractic and Posture” states, “Chiropractors are experts at analyzing posture and spinal problems. A doctor of chiropractic searches for the problems that exist underneath poor posture. Analyzing spinal curvatures and alignment, the doctor searches for the problems that contribute to the postural pattern he or she observes.”
My journey to wellness did not happen overnight; it was gradual and ongoing. I am constantly learning, changing and growing my wellness plan. I continue to improve and see positive results. IF we provide the right environment, our body will do what it is meant to do – heal itself! I truly believe that these six components: Water, Removing Heavy Metals and Toxins, Magnetic and Far-Infrared Energy, Diet and Nutritional Supplements, Exercise/Physical Therapy, and Correct Posture are essential for healthy bones and joints.
**As always, I welcome and encourage you to share your thoughts. Which methods of joint and muscle pain management have worked for you? I will follow up with an article on Bone Health.
Questions or further assistance? Please contact me at email@example.com.